RAR, Rhodesian African Rifles:
Copyright © 2009 RLI.ORG.AU. All Rights Reserved.
The Rhodesian African Rifles (RAR) have a long and illustrious record, dating
back to 1916, when the 1st Rhodesian Native Regiment was formed. This was
then followed by the Matabeleland Native Regiment, and the 2nd Rhodesian
Native Regiment, formed in 1917.
During 1918, the Rhodesia Native Regiment was formed by an amalgamation of
the 1st and 2nd Regiments.
In 1919, this Regiment was disbanded, with some of the personnel forming the
Askari Unit of the British South Africa Police (BSAP).
In 1940, during the early part of the second world war, the Askari Unit of the
BSAP were formed into the new Rhodesian African Rifles. This was considered
as the direct successor of the Rhodesia Native Regiment, which was confirmed in
1962, and the RAR inherited all that Regiments battle honours.
The first RAR Depot was opened during the summer of 1941 at Borrowdale
Camp, Salisbury. This was closed in 1946, but re-opened again in 1954 when it
moved to Llewellin Barracks in Bulawayo. In 1976, the Depot moved once again
to Shaw Barracks in Balla Balla.
The RAR fought with distinction during the Rhodesian bush war and were a
formidable force in repelling the incursions of the terrorists under the control of
Mugabe and Nkomo.
The RAR was finally disbanded on the 31st December 1981, when its soldiers
were integrated into the Zimbabwe National Army.
The Rhodesian Light Infantry Regimental
Assocation of Australasia